Families will find kid-friendly activities in Fairfax, and visitors give high marks for the shopping, top-notch restaurants, and fun sporting events. This city also attracts tourists with its live music, theaters, and museums. Top sights around the area include Arlington National Cemetery, Lincoln Memorial, and Jefferson Memorial.
- There are 24 hotels and other accommodations in Fairfax
- The closest major airport is in Washington, DC (IAD-Washington Dulles Intl.), 9.8 mi (15.8 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Manassas, VA (MNZ-Manassas Regional), 13 mi (20.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Fairfax
The city is known for its live music, theaters, and museums, along with cultural venues like National Firearms Museum. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Fair Oaks Mall is a favorite for retail therapy. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Ratcliffe-Allison House and Pozer Garden and George Mason University.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 24 hotels and other lodging accommodations to pick from in Fairfax. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hyatt House Falls Church/Merrifield - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and central location.
- Residence Inn Fairfax City - Our customers like the convenient parking and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Residence Inn By Marriott Fair Lakes Fairfax - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room kitchenette. Expedia customers love its convenient parking and WiFi.
Popular places to visit outside the city include Arlington National Cemetery, located 14 mi (22.5 km) from the heart of the city, and Lincoln Memorial, which is 15.3 mi/24.6 km away.
Getting Around Fairfax
Metro stations nearby include Vienna Station and Dunn Loring Merrifield Station. If you'd like to explore around the area, you may want to rent a car for your trip.
Dressing for Fairfax
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 61°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 24°F
- From April to June, the average is 87°F during the day and 38°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 88°F during the day and 50°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 73°F as the daytime average and 24°F as the nighttime average
- About 41.61 inches of rain falls on Fairfax each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 87°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 25°F