History buffs will enjoy exploring Galveston, and visitors give high marks for the beaches, beautiful gardens, and festivals. This city also attracts tourists with its seafood restaurants. Top sights in the city include Grand 1894 Opera House, Port of Galveston Cruise Terminal, and Texas Seaport Museum.
- There are 2155 hotels and other accommodations in Galveston
- The closest major airport is in Houston, TX (EFD-Ellington Field), 30.7 mi (49.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Houston, TX (HOU-William P. Hobby), 37.8 mi (60.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Galveston
Well-known for its festivals, the city's cultural venues include Grand 1894 Opera House, Texas Seaport Museum, and Galveston Island Railroad Museum. Attractions like Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier, Galveston Schlitterbahn Waterpark, and Bayou Wildlife Park are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Bishop's Palace, Galveston Seawall, and Pier 21.
In Galveston, you'll be able to select from 2155 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect vacation. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Lost Bayou Guesthouse B&B - This 3-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and concierge services. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its convenient parking and central location.
- Coppersmith Inn Bed and Breakfast - Our customers like the breakfast and beach locale at this B&B. With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Moody Gardens Hotel, Spa and Convention Center - This 4-star resort features a marina, a full-service spa, and a water park. Expedia customers like its bar and overall value.
Other favorite sights in Galveston include Port of Galveston Cruise Terminal, Port of Galveston (Galveston Wharves), and Moody Gardens. Top places to visit outside the city include Kemah Boardwalk, located 21.5 mi (34.6 km) from the heart of the city, and Johnson Space Center - NASA, which is 24.9 mi/40.1 km away.
Dressing for Galveston
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 73°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 48°F
- From April to June, the average is 89°F during the day and 60°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 91°F during the day and 73°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 84°F as the daytime average and 49°F as the nighttime average
- Galveston gets about 50.76 inches of rain per year
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 90°F, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 50°F