Visiting West Des Moines
Families will find kid-friendly activities in West Des Moines, and visitors give high marks for the shopping, top-notch restaurants, and riverfront. This city also attracts tourists with its theaters, sporting events, and live music. Around the area, top sights include Des Moines Art Center, Salisbury House, and Science Center of Iowa.
- You'll find 147 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Des Moines
- The closest major airport is in Des Moines, IA (DSM-Des Moines Intl.), 7.8 mi (12.6 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in West Des Moines
The city is well known for its theaters and live music, and Jordan House is a local cultural venue. Shopping is one of the favorite things to do, so consider an excursion to Valley West Mall, Jordan Creek Town Center, and West Glen Town Center. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Valley Stadium and Val Air Ballroom.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 24 hotels and other lodging options available to pick from in West Des Moines. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Element West Des Moines - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with an in-room kitchenette. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and comfortable rooms.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton West Des Moines/SW Mall Area - Our customers like the quiet location and room size at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen.
- Sleep Inn & Suites West Des Moines near Jordan Creek - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its overall value and overall condition.
Popular places to visit outside the city include Des Moines Art Center, located 5 mi (8 km) from the heart of the city, and Salisbury House, which is 5.5 mi/8.9 km away.
Dressing for West Des Moines
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 56°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 14°F
- From April to June, the average is 85°F during the day and 35°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 86°F during the day and 49°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 69°F as the daytime average and 15°F as the nighttime average
- About 35.98 inches of rain falls on West Des Moines each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 84°F, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 17°F