Visiting Machu Picchu
History buffs will enjoy exploring Machu Picchu, and visitors give high marks for the riverfront. This culturally-rich city also attracts tourists with its mountain views.
- There are 102 hotels and other accommodations in Machu Picchu
- The closest major airport is in Cusco (CUZ-Alejandro Velasco Astete Intl.), 44.1 mi (70.9 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Machu Picchu
The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Winaywayna Park and Temple of the Condor. The city's hiking trails, mountain views, and hot springs provide a picturesque setting, and places to visit include Huayna Picchu. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Aguas Calientes Hot Springs and Manuel Chavez Ballon Site Museum.
In Machu Picchu, you'll be able to select from 102 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel - This 4-star hotel features a full-service spa, 2 restaurants, and free breakfast. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and helpful staff.
- Mama Simona Hostel - Aguas Calientes - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this hostel. Amenities at this 2-star hostel include free breakfast and a 24-hour front desk.
- Jaya Suite Machupicchu - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its quiet location and helpful staff.
Getting Around Machu Picchu
If you want to explore the larger area, hop on a train at Machu Picchu Station. Machu Picchu may not have many public transit options so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Machu Picchu
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 68°F during the day and 42°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 67°F, while the average at night is 33°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 69°F with nighttime averages of 32°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 70°F and nighttime averages of 41°F
- About 28.03 inches of rain falls on Machu Picchu each year
- Usually October and December are the hottest months with an average of 69°F, whereas July and June are often coldest, averaging 33°F