Visiting South Bend
Families will find kid-friendly activities in South Bend, and visitors give high marks for the exciting football games, college vibe, and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its riverfront and restaurants. A top sight in the city is Notre Dame Stadium.
- There are 238 hotels and other accommodations in South Bend
- The closest major airport is in South Bend, IN (SBN-South Bend Intl.), 3.5 mi (5.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Goshen, IN (GSH-Goshen Municipal), 25.9 mi (41.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in South Bend
Cultural venues in the city include Morris Performing Arts Center, South Bend Civic Theater, and Studebaker National Museum. Families come for attractions such as South Bend Chocolate Factory, Legend Park, and Potawatomi Zoo. The city is notable for landmarks like Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes, and Ruthmere Mansion.
In South Bend, there are 238 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect vacation. Here are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Oliver Inn Bed and Breakfast - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast in West Washington features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and room size.
- Morris Inn - Our customers like the dining options and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 3.5-star hotel features 2 restaurants, free WiFi, and a fitness center.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Mishawaka/S Bend at Heritage Square, IN - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Other top sights in South Bend include Notre Dame Stadium. One of the popular sights in the surrounding area is Warren Dunes State Park, 24.1 mi/38.8 km from the center of the city.
Getting Around South Bend
If you want to journey outside of the area, hop aboard a train from South Bend Station, Niles Station, or Elkhart Station. South Bend might not have very many public transit options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for South Bend
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 53°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 17°F
- From April to June, the average is 83°F during the day and 33°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 83°F during the day and 48°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 68°F as the daytime average and 19°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for South Bend is 38.00 inches
- July and June are usually the hottest months averaging 82°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 20°F