History buffs will enjoy exploring Taos, and visitors give high marks for the renowned art, ski areas, and fascinating museums. This city also attracts tourists with its local tours, shopping, and mountain views. Top sights in the city include Taos Ski Valley, Red River Ski Area, and Sipapu Ski Area.
- There are 856 hotels and other accommodations in Taos
- The closest major airport is in Taos, NM (TSM-Taos Regional), 6.5 mi (10.5 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Los Alamos, NM (LAM-Los Alamos County), 53.4 mi (85.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Taos
The city is well known for its art and museums, and cultural venues include Taos Center for the Arts, Navajo Gallery, and Taos Plaza Theater and Arts Center. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Taos Plaza, Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, and Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The hiking trails and mountain views highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Carson National Forest, Kit Carson Park, and Williams Lake.
In Taos, you'll find 856 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. Here are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Dreamcatcher Bed and Breakfast - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room fireplace. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and central location.
- The Blake at Taos Ski Valley - Our customers like the dining options and helpful staff at this resort. This 4-star resort features ski slopes, a restaurant, and an outdoor pool.
- El Pueblo Lodge - With a stay at this 2-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its overall value and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Other favorite sights in Taos include Taos Ski Valley, Red River Ski Area, and Sipapu Ski Area.
Dressing for Taos
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 59°F during the day and 10°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 87°F, while the average at night is 27°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 87°F with nighttime averages of 38°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 72°F and nighttime averages of 10°F
- Average annual rainfall for Taos is 12.76 inches
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 85°F, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 12°F