Families will find kid-friendly activities in Wausau, and visitors give high marks for the ski areas, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its sporting events, entertainment choices, and mountain views. A top sight in the city is Granite Peak Ski Area.
- There are 46 hotels and other accommodations in Wausau
- The closest major airport is in Mosinee, WI (CWA-Central Wisconsin), 12.4 mi (19.9 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Wisconsin Rapids, WI (ISW-South Wood County), 42.6 mi (68.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Wausau
Cultural venues in the city include Wausau Museum of Contemporary Art, Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, and Marathon County Historical Museums. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the mountain views and such places to visit as Rib Mountain State Park and Grandfather Falls. Skiing is one of the top activities, while Maple Hills Golf Course, Merrill Golf Club, and Riverview Golf Course are favorite sights to visit.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 46 hotels and other lodging options to pick from in Wausau. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Stewart Inn - This 3.5-star hotel features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and proximity to shopping.
- Best Western Plus Wausau/Rothschild Hotel - Our customers like the overall value and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with an in-room kitchenette.
- AmericInn by Wyndham Merrill - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and pool.
Other top sights in Wausau include Granite Peak Ski Area.
Dressing for Wausau
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 47°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 6°F
- From April to June, the average is 79°F during the day and 27°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 80°F during the day and 42°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 62°F as the daytime average and 7°F as the nighttime average
- Wausau gets about 32.41 inches of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 78°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 8°F