Visitors can enjoy all that Hempstead has to offer including the live music, shopping, and festivals. Tourists can also enjoy the city's restaurants and university setting. Around the area, top sights include Long Beach, Floating Pool, and Bronx Zoo.
- There are 1353 hotels and other accommodations in the surrounding area
- The closest major airport is in New York, NY (JFK-John F. Kennedy Intl.), 9.5 mi (15.3 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Farmingdale, NY (FRG-Republic), 10.6 mi (17 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Hempstead
The university setting is a highlight of the city and Hofstra University is worth a campus tour. Additionally, you might want to add Hempstead Lake State Park to your agenda.
As you make plans for a getaway to Hempstead, your ideal accommodation may not be centrally located but you'll find 109 hotels and other lodging options within the local area. Below are places to stay in the region:
- The Roosevelt Hotel, New York City is 19.1 mi (30.7 km) from the center of Hempstead. This 4-star hotel in New York features 3 restaurants, a 24-hour health club, and a bar. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its beach locale.
- Salisbury Hotel is located 19.3 mi (31 km) from the heart of Hempstead. This 3-star hotel in New York features parking, a business center, and concierge services. Our customers like its proximity to public transit and comfortable rooms.
- Park Central Hotel New York is 19.4 mi (31.2 km) from central Hempstead. This 4-star hotel in New York features free WiFi, a 24-hour health club, and a bar. Our customers like its family-friendly amenities and central location.
Top places to see around the area include Long Beach, located 8.7 mi (14.1 km) from the city center, and Floating Pool, which is 15.7 mi/25.3 km away.
Getting Around Hempstead
To venture out into the surrounding area, hop aboard a train at Hempstead Station. Hempstead might not have very many public transit options so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Hempstead
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 54°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 26°F
- From April to June, the average is 82°F during the day and 39°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 84°F during the day and 55°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 70°F as the daytime average and 28°F as the nighttime average
- About 42.76 inches of rain falls on Hempstead each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 82°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 28°F