Find Hotels in Funchal
Search over 1 million properties and 550 airlines worldwide
Free cancellation on most hotels. Because flexibility matters.
Reviewed on Feb 15, 2020
Reviewed on Aug 8, 2020
Where to stay in Funchal
4.5/5Wonderful!(55 area reviews)
The breathtaking beach views and beautiful gardens are just a few highlights of São Martinho. Make a stop by Complexo Balnear do Lido or Formosa Beach while you're exploring the area.
4.5/5Wonderful!(39 area reviews)
Se is a destination visitors seek out for is lively bars, colorful gardens, and seaside views. You might want to check out attractions like Funchal Marina or CR7 Museum while you're exploring the neighborhood.
Santa Maria Maior
4.5/5Wonderful!(11 area reviews)
Historic sites, seaside views, and gardens are just a few things travelers enjoy about Santa Maria Maior. Check out Madeira Botanical Garden or Madeira Stadium while you're exploring the area.
5/5Exceptional!(2 area reviews)
Monte is noteworthy for its gardens, and you can make a stop at top attractions like Monte Palace Gardens and Funchal Ecological Park Recreation Center.
4.5/5Wonderful!(9 area reviews)
Golf courses, seaside views, and gardens highlight some of the noteworthy features of Sao Goncalo. Make a stop by Palheiro Gardens or Palheiro Golf Club while you're exploring the neighborhood.
Families will find kid-friendly activities in Funchal, and visitors give high marks for the beautiful gardens, top-notch restaurants, and seaside. This city also attracts tourists with its shopping and sporting events. Top sights in the city include Madeira Botanical Garden, Monte Palace Gardens, and Madeira Stadium.
- There are 795 hotels and other accommodations in Funchal
- The closest major airport is in Funchal (FNC-Cristiano Ronaldo), 8.4 mi (13.5 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Funchal
Cultural venues in the city include CR7 Museum, Se Cathedral, and Museum of Natural History. Favorite family attractions include Funchal-Monte Teleferico and Fábrica de Bordado. The city is notable for landmarks like Town Square, Santa Clara Monastery, and Vila Guida Garden Viewpoint.
In Funchal, there are 795 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday retreat. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Quinta Da Casa Branca - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in São Martinho can enjoy access to 2 outdoor pools and a full-service spa, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and breakfast.
- Quinta Jardins do Lago - Our customers like the dining options and breakfast at this hotel. Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Sao Pedro can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Casa Velha Do Palheiro - Guests who stay at this 5-star country house in Sao Goncalo can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a golf course, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers love its dining options and spacious, comfortable rooms.
Other favorite sights in Funchal include Madeira Botanical Garden, Monte Palace Gardens, and Madeira Stadium. A top sight outside the city is Santa Cruz Beach, located 7.4 mi (11.9 km) from the center of the city.
Dressing for Funchal
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 67°F during the day and 55°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 74°F, while the average at night is 56°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 78°F with nighttime averages of 63°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 77°F and nighttime averages of 56°F
- Funchal gets about 25.35 inches of rain per year
- Usually September and August are the hottest months with an average of 78°F, whereas March and February are often coldest, averaging 55°F
Frequently asked questions
What's the best place to stay in Funchal?
If I need to cancel my hotel reservation in Funchal, will I receive a refund?
Where can I learn more about changing or cancelling my trip to Funchal?
What's the best accommodation for a budget-friendly stay in Funchal?
What's the best place to stay in São Martinho?
What's a favorite place to stay in Se?
What's the best place to stay when traveling with kids to Funchal?
What's the best place to stay for a romantic vacation to Funchal?
What's the best all-inclusive hotel in Funchal?
What is the top LGBTQ-friendly place to stay in Funchal?
What's the best pet-friendly accommodation in Funchal?
What are some accommodations with pools in Funchal?
Recent reviews of Funchal hotels
More trip options
- Funchal Hotels by Star Rating
- Hotels near Funchal Airports
- Hotels in Funchal Neighborhoods
- Hotels near Popular Funchal Attractions
- More Accommodation Types in Funchal
- More Hotel Options in Funchal
- More Popular Hotels in Madeira Region
- Other Hotels near Funchal, Madeira Region
- Hotels in Popular Destinations
- Hotel Deals
- Expedia's Latest Trends