Visiting Long Island City
Travelers to Long Island City give high marks for the shopping, top-notch restaurants, and local tours. Vibrant and scenic, this city will delight tourists with its art, cafés, and museums. Bloomingdale's, Chrysler Building, and Barney's are some of the top sights around the area.
- You'll find 1504 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of New York
- The closest major airport is in New York, NY (LGA-LaGuardia), 4.1 mi (6.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Teterboro, NJ (TEB), 9.6 mi (15.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Long Island City
The city is well known for its art and museums, and cultural venues include SculptureCenter, P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center, and 5 Pointz The Institute of Higher Burnin. The city's natural beauty is on display at Queensbridge Park, Gantry Plaza State Park, and Hunter's Point South. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are MoMA PS1 and The Foundry.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 40 hotels and other lodging options available to choose from in Long Island City. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Home2 Suites by Hilton NY Long Island City/Manhattan View - With a stay at this 2.5-star aparthotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a fitness center, along with an in-room kitchen. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its proximity to public transit and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Hyatt Place Long Island City/New York City - Our customers like the helpful staff and proximity to public transit at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a 24-hour fitness center, along with free WiFi.
- Courtyard Long Island City/New York Manhattan View - This 3-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi, and a fitness center. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and helpful staff.
Top places to visit outside the city include Bloomingdale's, located 1.5 mi (2.4 km) from the heart of the city, and Chrysler Building, which is 1.7 mi/2.7 km away.
Getting Around Long Island City
With so many ways to get around, exploring Long Island City is simple. You can take advantage of metro transit at 23 St. - Ely Av. Station, Long Island City - Court Sq. Station, and Queensboro Plaza Station. To see more of the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Long Island City Hunterspoint Avenue Station or Long Island City Station.
Dressing for Long Island City
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 55°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 26°F
- From April to June, the average is 83°F during the day and 40°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 84°F during the day and 55°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 69°F as the daytime average and 28°F as the nighttime average
- Long Island City gets about 49.96 inches of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 83°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 28°F