Travelers to Marathon give high marks for the seafood restaurants and beaches. Top sights in the city include Sombrero Beach and Dolphin Research Center.
- There are 220 hotels and other accommodations in Marathon
- The closest major airport is in Marathon, FL (MTH-Florida Keys Marathon), 1.8 mi (3 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Key West, FL (EYW-Key West Intl.), 43.9 mi (70.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Marathon
The city's cultural venues include Crane Point Museum and Nature Center and Pigeon Key Foundation. The beaches and sunsets highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Sombrero Beach, The Turtle Hospital, and Curry Hammock State Park. Top activities include dolphin watching and fishing, while Florida Keys Country Club and Captain Hooks Marina and Dive Center are sights to visit.
In Marathon, you'll be able to select from 220 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday retreat. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its beach locale and helpful staff.
- Hampton Inn Marathon - Florida Keys - Our customers like the breakfast and overall value at this inn. With a stay at this 2.5-star inn, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- Seascape Motel & Marina - This 2.5-star motel features a marina, a private beach, and an outdoor pool. Expedia customers like its quiet location and clean rooms.
Other top sights in Marathon include Dolphin Research Center. A popular place to see in the surrounding area is Bahia Honda State Park and Beach, 12.9 mi/20.8 km from the city center.
Dressing for Marathon
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 81°F during the day and 64°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 91°F, while the average at night is 70°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 92°F with nighttime averages of 78°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 88°F and nighttime averages of 64°F
- About 46.14 inches of rain falls on Marathon each year
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 91°F, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 65°F