Families will find kid-friendly activities in Portsmouth, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its museums and riverfront. Around the area, top sights include Children's Museum of Virginia, Nauticus National Maritime Center, and Moses Myers House.
- You'll find 862 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Norfolk - Virginia Beach
- The closest major airport is in Norfolk, VA (ORF-Norfolk Intl.), 6.8 mi (10.9 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Newport News, VA (PHF-Newport News - Williamsburg Intl.), 23.1 mi (37.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Portsmouth
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Children's Museum of Virginia, Virginia Sports Hall of Fame and Museum, and Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks such as United States Lightship Portsmouth. Boating is a top activity, and Tidewater Yacht Marina is one place to visit.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 13 hotels and other lodging accommodations to select from in Portsmouth. Here you'll find top ones based on our user reviews:
- The Mermaids' Porch Bed and Breakfast - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and quiet location.
- Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel - Our customers like the dining options and bar at this hotel. This 3.5-star hotel features a restaurant, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
Popular places to visit in the area include Nauticus National Maritime Center, located 0.9 mi (1.4 km) from the heart of the city, and Moses Myers House, which is 1.3 mi (2 km) away.
Dressing for Portsmouth
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 64°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 34°F
- From April to June, the average is 87°F during the day and 46°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 89°F during the day and 62°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 76°F as the daytime average and 35°F as the nighttime average
- About 44.68 inches of rain falls on Portsmouth each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 87°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 35°F