Families will find kid-friendly activities in Sandusky, and visitors give high marks for the theme park, water parks, and lakeside setting. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its breweries. Top sights in the city include Cedar Point, African Safari Wildlife Park, and Lake Erie.
- There are 300 hotels and other accommodations in Sandusky
- The closest major airport is in Cleveland, OH (CLE-Hopkins Intl.), 45.3 mi (73 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Cleveland, OH (BKL-Burke Lakefront), 53.5 mi (86.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Sandusky
Cultural venues in the city include Merry-Go-Round Museum, Maritime Museum of Sandusky, and Margie Pfund Memorial Postmark Museum and Research Library. Families come for the theme park and water parks, specifically attractions such as Cedar Point, African Safari Wildlife Park, and Rain Water Park Complex. The city is notable for landmarks like Marblehead Lighthouse, Johnson's Island Confederate Cemetery, and Stonehenge.
In Sandusky, there are 300 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday getaway. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites NORTH FREMONT - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and pool.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Port Clinton Waterfront - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sandusky - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and overall value.
Other top sights in Sandusky include Lake Erie.
Getting Around Sandusky
With so many choices for transportation, seeing all of Sandusky is simple. If you want to explore the larger area, hop aboard a train at Sandusky Station. You can learn about your options for water transportation at the local port.
Dressing for Sandusky
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 50°F during the day and 21°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 81°F, while the average at night is 36°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 82°F with nighttime averages of 52°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 67°F and nighttime averages of 22°F
- About 33.11 inches of rain falls on Sandusky each year
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 80°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 23°F