Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Boone, and visitors give high marks for the magnificent mountain views, ski areas, and fun sporting events. This scenic city also attracts tourists with its university setting and shopping. Top sights in the city include Sugar Mountain Resort, Appalachian Ski Mtn., and Tweetsie Railroad.
- There are 1182 hotels and other accommodations in Boone
- The closest major airport is in Abingdon, VA (VJI-Virginia Highlands), 37.6 mi (60.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Tri-Cities, TN (TRI-Tri-Cities Regional), 44.1 mi (71 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Boone
Cultural venues in the city include Blowing Rock Art and History Museum, Turchin Center for the Visual Arts, and Hickory Ridge Living History Museum. Attractions like Tweetsie Railroad and Land of Oz are fun for everyone, not just kids. The city is notable for landmarks like The Blowing Rock, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, and Wiseman's View.
In Boone, there are 1182 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday getaway. These are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Buffalo Tavern Bed & Breakfast - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Holiday Inn Express West Jefferson - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- New River Inn and Cabins - Amenities at this 2.5-star motel include free parking and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other favorite sights in Boone include Sugar Mountain Resort, Appalachian Ski Mtn., and Hawksnest Tubing Park.
Dressing for Boone
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 57°F and the nighttime average to be 20°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 78°F during the day and 33°F at night
- July through September averages 79°F during the day and 45°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 67°F during the day and 21°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Boone is 52.64 inches
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 78°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 22°F