Visiting Lake Placid
Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Lake Placid, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting, magnificent mountain views, and ski areas. This city also attracts tourists with its hockey games. Top sights in the city include Whiteface Mountain, Olympic Center, and Mirror Lake.
- There are 247 hotels and other accommodations in Lake Placid
- The closest major airport is in Lake Placid, NY (LKP), 1.3 mi (2.1 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Saranac Lake, NY (SLK-Adirondack Regional), 13 mi (21 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Lake Placid
Cultural venues in the city include Lake Placid Winter Olympic Museum, Lake Placid Center for the Arts, and Pendragon Theatre. The city is notable for landmarks like Bartok Cabin, Lake Placid Adirondack Scenic Railroad Station, and John Brown Farm State Historic Site. The lakeside, mountain views, and hiking trails highlight the city's natural beauty, and Mirror Lake, High Falls Gorge, and Brewster Peninsula Nature Trails are worth a visit.
In Lake Placid, you'll be able to select from 247 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect vacation. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Adirondack Spruce Lodge - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free valet parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and comfortable beds.
- The Whiteface Lodge - Our customers like the family-friendly amenities and bar at this resort. This 4.5-star resort features a full-service spa, free breakfast, and a restaurant.
- Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa - This 4-star hotel features a full-service spa, a private beach, and 3 restaurants. Expedia customers like its dining options and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other top sights in Lake Placid include Whiteface Mountain and Olympic Center. A popular place to see in the surrounding area is Ausable Chasm, located 30.7 mi (49.4 km) from the city center.
Dressing for Lake Placid
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 43°F and the nighttime average to be 1°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 75°F during the day and 20°F at night
- July through September averages 76°F during the day and 36°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 59°F during the day and 4°F at night
- About 37.52 inches of rain falls on Lake Placid each year
- Hottest months are usually July and June with an average temperature of 75°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 2°F