Visitors to Portage are sure to enjoy the beaches and shopping. Tourists to the city can also enjoy its scenic landscape.
- There are 14 hotels and other accommodations in Portage
- The closest major airport is in Chicago, IL (MDW-Midway Intl.), 32.1 mi (51.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Chicago, IL (ORD-O'Hare Intl.), 45.8 mi (73.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Portage
Places to visit in the larger region include Bailly Homestead - American Indians and Fur Traders, Marquette Park, and Chellberg Farm. You'll also find Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and Indiana Dunes State Park in the area.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 14 hotels and other lodging options available to choose from in Portage. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Affordable Suites of America Portage - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a 24-hour fitness center, along with an in-room kitchen. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and helpful staff.
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Portage, IN - Our customers like the overall condition and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- Holiday Inn Express and Suites Portage - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its convenient parking and helpful staff.
Getting Around Portage
To see more of the larger area, hop on a train at Portage - Ogden Dunes Train to Chicago. Portage may not have many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Portage
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 54°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 17°F
- From April to June, the average is 83°F during the day and 34°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 83°F during the day and 48°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 69°F as the daytime average and 18°F as the nighttime average
- Portage gets about 40.75 inches of rain per year
- July and June are usually the hottest months averaging 82°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 20°F