Visiting Virginia City
Visitors can enjoy all that Virginia City has to offer including the museums, casinos, and coffeehouses. Tourists can also enjoy the city's monuments and theaters. Around the area, top sights include Grimes Point - Hidden Cave Archaeological Site, Bowers Mansion, and Northern Nevada Children's Museum.
- You'll find 275 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Carson City
- The closest major airport is in Reno, NV (RNO-Reno-Tahoe Intl.), 15.1 mi (24.3 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Truckee, CA (TKF-Truckee Tahoe), 26.5 mi (42.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Virginia City
Cultural venues in the city include Mark Twain Museum at the Territorial Enterprise, Piper's Opera House, and Silver State National Peace Officers Museum. The city is notable for landmarks like Comstock History Center, Saint Mary's in the Mountains Church, and St. Mary in the Mountains Catholic Church. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are The Washoe Club Haunted Museum and Western Historic Radio Museum.
Here's a top accommodation based on our user reviews:
- Gold Hill Hotel - This 2.5-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi, and free parking.
Outside the city, popular places to visit include Grimes Point - Hidden Cave Archaeological Site, located 9.1 mi (14.7 km) from the heart of the city, and Bowers Mansion, which is 10.3 mi (16.6 km) away.
Dressing for Virginia City
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 53°F and the nighttime average to be 24°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 80°F during the day and 33°F at night
- July through September averages 85°F during the day and 47°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 68°F during the day and 24°F at night
- About 11.61 inches of rain falls on Virginia City each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 82°F, while the coldest months are December and January with an average of 25°F