Families will find kid-friendly activities in Altoona, and visitors give high marks for the casinos. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its theme park. Adventureland, Iowa State Fairgrounds, and Iowa State Capitol Building are some of the top sights around the area.
- You'll find 148 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Des Moines
- The closest major airport is in Des Moines, IA (DSM-Des Moines Intl.), 12.3 mi (19.9 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Altoona
A favorite place to visit in the city is Adventureland. In the area, you'll also find Iowa State Fairgrounds and Iowa State Capitol Building.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 11 hotels and other lodging options to select from in Altoona. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Comfort Inn - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Prairie Meadows Casino, Racetrack & Hotel - Our customers like the bar and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a casino and 3 restaurants, along with free WiFi.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Altoona - Des Moines - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and breakfast.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, located 8.6 mi (13.9 km) from the heart of the city, and Science Center of Iowa, which is 9.2 mi/14.9 km away.
Dressing for Altoona
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 56°F and the nighttime average to be 11°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 86°F during the day and 32°F at night
- July through September averages 87°F during the day and 45°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 71°F during the day and 12°F at night
- About 36.10 inches of rain falls on Altoona each year
- Hottest months are usually July and June with an average temperature of 85°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 14°F