Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Nairobi, and visitors give high marks for the safari tours and shopping. This culturally-rich city also attracts tourists with its parks and museums. Top sights in the city include Nairobi National Park, Moi International Sports Centre, and Yaya Centre.
- There are 1191 hotels and other accommodations in Nairobi
- The closest major airport is in Nairobi (WIL-Wilson), 2.2 mi (3.5 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Nairobi (NBO-Jomo Kenyatta Intl.), 8 mi (12.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Nairobi
Well-known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Karen Blixen Museum, Kenya National Theatre, and Nairobi National Museum. Attractions like Giraffe Centre, David Sheldrick Elephant & Rhino Orphanage, and AFEW Giraffe Centre are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Kenyatta Mausoleum, Karen Blixen Coffee Garden and Cottages, and Teleposta Towers.
In Nairobi, you'll find 1191 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Here are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Villa Rosa Kempinski - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 4 restaurants, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its central location and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Severine Cottages and Lounge - Our customers like the helpful staff and clean rooms at this tentalow. This 2.5-star tentalow features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi.
- Hemingways Nairobi - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and free breakfast, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and helpful staff.
Other favorite sights in Nairobi include Nairobi National Park, Moi International Sports Centre, and Yaya Centre.
Getting Around Nairobi
To explore the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Nairobi Station or Syokimau Station. Nairobi might not have many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Nairobi
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 79°F and the nighttime average to be 54°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 76°F during the day and 53°F at night
- July through September averages 75°F during the day and 52°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 75°F during the day and 54°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Nairobi is 33.49 inches
- Hottest months are usually February and January with an average temperature of 78°F, while the coldest months are July and August with an average of 52°F