Couples looking to get away will find a romantic atmosphere in Windsor, and visitors give high marks for the riverfront, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its bars and local tours. Top sights in the city include Windsor Castle, Legoland, and Frogmore House.
- There are 59 hotels and other accommodations in Windsor
- The closest major airport is in London (LHR-Heathrow), 6.8 mi (11 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in London (LGW-Gatwick), 29.6 mi (47.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Windsor
The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Windsor Castle, Frogmore House, and Windsor Parish Church. Shopping is one of the favorite things to do, so consider an excursion to Windsor Royal Shopping Centre, King Edward Court Shopping, and Eton High Street Shopping. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Legoland and Windsor Guildhall.
In Windsor, you'll be able to select from 59 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- The Winning Post - This 4-star inn features a restaurant, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Macdonald Windsor Hotel - Our customers like the walkable location and comfortable, quiet rooms at this hotel. Guests who stay at this 4-star hotel in Windsor City Centre can enjoy access to a restaurant and a bar, along with free WiFi.
- Prince George Inn - With a stay at this 3-star inn, guests can enjoy access to a bar and a terrace, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its central location and comfortable rooms.
In the surrounding area, popular places to visit include The Lightbox, 11.3 mi/18.2 km from the city center, and Wembley Stadium, which is 15 mi (24.1 km) away.
Getting Around Windsor
To venture out into the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Windsor & Eton Central Station or Windsor & Eton Riverside Station. Windsor may not have many public transit choices so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Windsor
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 53°F during the day and 36°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 69°F, while the average at night is 40°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 71°F with nighttime averages of 49°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 61°F and nighttime averages of 37°F
- About 23.11 inches of rain falls on Windsor each year
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 70°F, whereas January and March are often coldest, averaging 36°F