Travelers to Zermatt give high marks for the ski areas, magnificent mountain views, and relaxing spas. Tourists to the city can also enjoy its scenic landscape. A top sight in the city is Matterhorn.
- There are 308 hotels and other accommodations in Zermatt
- The closest major airport is in Sion (SIR), 24 mi (38.6 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Zermatt
The mountain views, hiking trails, and glaciers highlight the city's natural beauty, and Matterhorn, Unterrothorn, and Gorner Ridge are worth a visit. Skiing is one of the top activities, while Mountaineers Cemetery, Zermatt-Furi Gondola, and Sunnegga Ski Resort are favorite sights to visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are St. Mauritius Church and Matterhorn Museum.
In Zermatt, there are 308 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Hotel Riffelalp Resort 2222m - This 5-star hotel features a full-service spa, ski slopes, and 3 restaurants.
- La Vue - Zermatt Luxury Living Appartements - Our customers like the comfortable rooms and location at this apartment. This 5-star apartment features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- CERVO Mountain Boutique Resort - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and the ski slopes, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Getting Around Zermatt
If you want to see more of the area, hop aboard a train from Zermatt Station, Riffelberg, or Gornergrat Station. Zermatt might not have very many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Zermatt
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 17°F and the nighttime average to be 8°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 35°F during the day and 10°F at night
- July through September averages 39°F during the day and 27°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 32°F during the day and 11°F at night
- About 0.98 inches of rain falls on Zermatt each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 37°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 8°F