Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Carmel, and visitors give high marks for the seaside and shopping. This scenic city also attracts tourists with its art. Top sights in the city include Carmel Beach, Point Lobos State Reserve, and Bixby Bridge.
- You'll find 440 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Monterey
- The closest major airport is in Monterey, CA (MRY-Monterey Peninsula), 4.8 mi (7.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Salinas, CA (SNS-Salinas Municipal), 18.6 mi (29.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Carmel
The seaside and sunsets highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Carmel Beach, Point Lobos State Reserve, and Carmel River State Beach. Shopping is a favorite activity, so consider an excursion to Carmel Plaza and The Barnyard. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Bixby Bridge and Blair Estate Tasting Room.
In Carmel, you'll find 97 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Here you'll find top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Tally Ho Inn - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and clean, quiet rooms.
- The Vagabond's House - Our customers like the helpful staff and room size at this B&B. This 4-star bed & breakfast features a full-service spa, free breakfast, and free WiFi.
- Carriage House Inn - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers like its breakfast and proximity to shopping.
In the surrounding area, popular places to see include Fisherman's Wharf, 3.7 mi/6 km from the city center, and Monterey Bay Aquarium, which is 4.5 mi (7.2 km) away.
Dressing for Carmel
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 61°F during the day and 43°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 66°F, while the average at night is 46°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 70°F with nighttime averages of 51°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 69°F and nighttime averages of 43°F
- About 20.47 inches of rain falls on Carmel each year
- Usually September and October are the hottest months with an average of 69°F, whereas December and January are often coldest, averaging 44°F