History buffs will enjoy exploring Newport, and visitors give high marks for the bustling port, local tours, and top-notch restaurants. Top sights in the city include Touro Synagogue, International Tennis Hall of Fame and Museum, and Naval War College Museum.
- There are 258 hotels and other accommodations in Newport
- The closest major airport is in Newport, RI (NPT-Newport State), 3.3 mi (5.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in North Kingstown, RI (NCO-Quonset State), 8.9 mi (14.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Newport
Cultural venues in the city include International Tennis Hall of Fame and Museum, Naval War College Museum, and Beechwood Mansion. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Touro Synagogue, Fort Adams State Park, and The Breakers. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: Easton's Beach, Newport Harbour, and King Park.
In Newport, you'll be able to select from 258 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday retreat. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Town & Tide Inn - With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its beach locale and WiFi.
- Ocean Romance Dockside B and B Yacht Hotel - Our customers like the breakfast and central location at this B&B. With a stay at this 5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- The Chanler at Cliff Walk - This 4.5-star hotel features 2 restaurants, free WiFi, and free valet parking. Expedia customers like its dining options and breakfast.
Other top sights in Newport include Rough Point and Newport Mansions. Outside the city, popular places to visit include Buttonwood Park Zoo, located 21.1 mi (34 km) from the city center, and Roger Williams Park Zoo, which is 21.4 mi (34.4 km) away.
Dressing for Newport
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 50°F and the nighttime average to be 23°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 76°F during the day and 35°F at night
- July through September averages 79°F during the day and 53°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 67°F during the day and 25°F at night
- About 48.46 inches of rain falls on Newport each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 78°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 25°F