Visiting Long Island
Families will find kid-friendly activities in Long Island, and visitors give high marks for the shopping, beaches, and live music scene. This city also attracts tourists with its restaurants, wineries, and aquarium. Top sights in the city include Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Belmont Park, and Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.
- There are 2105 hotels and other accommodations in Long Island
- The closest major airport is in Shirley, NY (WSH-Brookhaven Calabro), 6.5 mi (10.5 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Islip, NY (ISP-MacArthur), 7.1 mi (11.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Long Island
Well-known for its live music scene, the city's cultural venues include NYCB Theatre at Westbury, Brooklyn Museum, and Suffolk Theater. Families come for attractions such as Splish Splash Water Park, New York Aquarium, and Luna Park. The city is notable for landmarks like Montauk Point Lighthouse, Brooklyn Navy Yard, and TWA Flight 800 International Memorial.
In Long Island, there are 2105 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday getaway. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- SEVEN - Shelter Island Guest House - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast.
- The Ocean Bay House - Our customers like the beach locale and helpful staff at this inn. With a stay at this 3.5-star inn, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- 434 on Main - This 4-star bed & breakfast in Amagansett North features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers like its proximity to shopping and comfortable beds.
Other favorite sights in Long Island include Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Belmont Park, and Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. A top sight in the surrounding area is Chelsea Piers, located 30.6 mi (49.2 km) from the heart of the city.
Getting Around Long Island
With so many transportation options, exploring Long Island is easy. Take advantage of metro transit at Jamaica 179 St. Station, 169 St. Station, and Far Rockaway - Mott Av. Station. If you want to journey outside of the city, hop aboard a train from Medford Station, Yaphank Station, or Bellport Station.
Dressing for Long Island
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 52°F and the nighttime average to be 23°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 80°F during the day and 36°F at night
- July through September averages 82°F during the day and 51°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 68°F during the day and 24°F at night
- Long Island gets about 46.18 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 81°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 25°F