Families will find kid-friendly activities in Salinas, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants. Tourists who journey to this welcoming city can discover its shopping, aquarium, and cafés. Fisherman's Wharf, Monterey Bay Aquarium, and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca are some of the top sights around the area.
- You'll find 440 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Monterey
- The closest major airport is in Salinas, CA (SNS-Salinas Municipal), 2.2 mi (3.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Monterey, CA (MRY-Monterey Peninsula), 12.2 mi (19.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Salinas
Cultural venues in the city include National Steinbeck Center, Aguila Cultural Center, and Salinas Valley Model Railroad Museum. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Northridge Mall is a favorite for retail therapy. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Steinbeck House and First Mayor's House.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 26 hotels and other lodging accommodations to choose from in Salinas. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Salinas - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and pool.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salinas - Our customers like the breakfast and beach locale at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Residence Inn by Marriott Salinas Monterey - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen. Expedia customers like its breakfast and pool.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Fisherman's Wharf, located 14.1 mi (22.7 km) from the heart of the city, and Monterey Bay Aquarium, which is 14.2 mi/22.9 km away.
Getting Around Salinas
If you want to explore the larger area, hop aboard a train at Salinas Station. Salinas might not have very many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Salinas
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 66°F and the nighttime average to be 39°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 71°F during the day and 44°F at night
- July through September averages 74°F during the day and 51°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 74°F during the day and 39°F at night
- About 14.88 inches of rain falls on Salinas each year
- Hottest months are usually September and October with an average temperature of 73°F, while the coldest months are December and January with an average of 40°F