Visitors can enjoy all that Whiting has to offer including the shopping, restaurants, and casinos. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its golf courses. McCormick Place, Millennium Park, and Willis Tower are some of the top sights around the area.
- There are 720 hotels and other accommodations in the surrounding area
- The closest major airport is in Chicago, IL (MDW-Midway Intl.), 14.4 mi (23.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Chicago, IL (ORD-O'Hare Intl.), 29.2 mi (46.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Whiting
A couple of favorite places to visit are Horseshoe Hammond Casino and Lost Marsh Golf Course. Additionally, in the area you'll find McCormick Place and Millennium Park.
As you start planning your visit to Whiting, the best accommodation may not be in the city center but you'll find 56 hotels and other lodging options within the local area. Listed here are places to stay in the area:
- Congress Plaza Hotel is 14.9 mi (24 km) from the center of Whiting. Guests who stay at this 3-star hotel in Chicago can enjoy access to 2 restaurants and a fitness center, along with free WiFi. Our customers like its overall value and central location.
- Warwick Allerton - Chicago is located 16.2 mi (26 km) from the heart of Whiting. This 4-star hotel in Chicago features a restaurant, a 24-hour fitness center, and a bar. Our customers like its beach locale.
- Palmer House a Hilton Hotel is 15.3 mi (24.7 km) from central Whiting. Guests who stay at this 4-star hotel in Chicago can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a restaurant, along with pillowtop beds. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its proximity to public transit.
In the surrounding area, popular places to see include Willis Tower, located 15.4 mi (24.7 km) from the city center, and Skydeck Ledge, which is 15.4 mi/24.7 km away.
Getting Around Whiting
To see more of the larger area, ride aboard one of the trains from Hammond-Whiting Station. Whiting might not have many public transit choices so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Whiting
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 53°F during the day and 13°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 83°F, while the average at night is 34°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 85°F with nighttime averages of 48°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 69°F and nighttime averages of 17°F
- Whiting gets about 1.26 inches of rain per year
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 82°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 17°F