Families will find kid-friendly activities in Amherst, and visitors give high marks for the college vibe, beautiful waterfalls, and shopping. Tourists who journey to this welcoming city can discover its restaurants, sporting events, and local tours. Top sights around the area include Niagara Falls State Park, Bridal Veil Falls, and American Falls.
- You'll find 149 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Buffalo
- The closest major airport is in Buffalo, NY (BUF-Buffalo Niagara Intl.), 5.2 mi (8.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Niagara Falls, NY (IAG-Niagara Falls Intl.), 10.5 mi (17 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Amherst
Favorite family attractions include Lasertron and Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Boulevard Mall is a favorite for retail therapy. University life is a highlight in the city and campuses to tour include Daemen College and University At Buffalo - North Campus.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 19 hotels and other lodging accommodations to pick from in Amherst. Here you'll find top ones based on our user reviews:
- Staybridge Suites Buffalo-Amherst - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and overall value.
- Hyatt Place Buffalo/Amherst - Our customers like the quiet location and comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to an indoor pool and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Reikart House, Buffalo, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel - This 4-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi, and free valet parking. Expedia customers like its overall value and central location.
Popular places to visit in the area include Niagara Falls State Park, located 14.6 mi (23.5 km) from the heart of the city, and Bridal Veil Falls, which is 14.8 mi/23.8 km away.
Dressing for Amherst
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 48°F during the day and 18°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 79°F, while the average at night is 31°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 80°F with nighttime averages of 48°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 65°F and nighttime averages of 20°F
- About 40.47 inches of rain falls on Amherst each year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 79°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 19°F