Visiting Shelter Island
Visitors can enjoy all that Shelter Island has to offer including the parks, beaches, and museums. This city also attracts tourists with its scenic landscape.
- There are 3 hotels and other accommodations in Shelter Island
- The closest major airport is in East Hampton, NY (HTO), 7.6 mi (12.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Fishers Island, NY (FID-Elizabeth Field), 20 mi (32.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Shelter Island
Notable city landmarks like Havens House and Sylvester Manor might be worth a visit. The picturesque setting of Mashomack Preserve and Wades Beach exemplify the city's natural beauty. Additionally, you might want to add Shelter Island Historical Society to your agenda.
As you make plans for a getaway to Shelter Island, your ideal accommodation may not be in the heart of the city but you'll find 241 hotels and lodging options locally. Below are places to stay in the area:
- Immaculate New Construction Summer Getaway Home on Shelter Is. With Heated Pool is 1.5 mi (2.4 km) from the center of Shelter Island. This 3.5-star resort in Westbrook features a full-service spa, a private beach, and 3 restaurants. Our customers like its bar and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Summer On Shelter Isle is 1.3 mi (2.1 km) from central Shelter Island. Guests who stay at this 4-star resort in Montauk can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a private beach, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Joyful and Chic on Shelter Island is located 1.4 mi (2.2 km) from the heart of Shelter Island. This 3.5-star hotel in Montauk features a marina, 2 outdoor pools, and a private beach. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and dining options.
Dressing for Shelter Island
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 52°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 19°F
- From April to June, the average is 79°F during the day and 31°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 81°F during the day and 46°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 68°F as the daytime average and 21°F as the nighttime average
- About 46.85 inches of rain falls on Shelter Island each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 80°F, while February and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 20°F