Visiting San Rafael
Families will find kid-friendly activities in San Rafael, and visitors give high marks for the shopping and top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its festivals, entertainment choices, and forests. Top sights around the area include Alcatraz Island, Golden Gate Bridge, and Palace of Fine Arts.
- There are 18 hotels and other accommodations in San Rafael
- The closest major airport is in Novato, CA (NOT-Gnoss Field), 11.8 mi (18.9 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Napa, CA (APC-Napa Valley), 21.9 mi (35.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in San Rafael
The city is well known for its festivals and cultural venues like Marin History Museum. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the forests and these places to visit: Gerstle Park, China Camp State Park, and McNears Beach Country Park. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Marin County Civic Center Farmers' Market is a favorite for retail therapy.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 18 hotels and other lodging accommodations to select from in San Rafael. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Marin Lodge - Amenities at this 2-star hotel include free WiFi and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and comfortable, quiet rooms.
- Embassy Suites by Hilton San Rafael Marin County - Our customers like the family-friendly amenities and bar at this hotel. With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with an in-room MP3 dock.
- Four Points By Sheraton San Rafael - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its bar and clean, comfortable rooms.
Outside the city, popular places to visit include Alcatraz Island, located 11.6 mi (18.7 km) from the heart of the city, and Golden Gate Bridge, which is 11.7 mi/18.8 km away.
Dressing for San Rafael
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 64°F and the nighttime average to be 41°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 78°F during the day and 46°F at night
- July through September averages 77°F during the day and 41°F at night
- San Rafael gets about 34.84 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 79°F, while the coldest months are December and January with an average of 42°F