Search over 1 million properties and 550 airlines worldwide
Free cancellation on most hotels. Because flexibility matters.
Meal plans available
Reviewed on Oct 19, 2020
You could be seeing lower prices
Reviewed on Oct 6, 2020
Reviewed on Dec 30, 2020
Where to stay in Edinburgh
4.5/5Wonderful!(1,279 area reviews)
Wander the narrow alleys of Edinburgh's historic center to discover the hidden delights of an area that also encompasses some of the city's top attractions.
4.5/5Wonderful!(898 area reviews)
Stroll around the refined Georgian quarter of Edinburgh to encounter iconic monuments, stunning art galleries and an array of stores.
3/5(1 area review)
The ample dining options and beautiful seaside views are top of the list for many visitors to Leith. A stop by Royal Yacht Britannia or Princes Street might round out your trip.
4.5/5Wonderful!(17 area reviews)
Haymarket is well-liked for many features, particularly its museums, restaurants, and shopping. Though there might not be top sights in Haymarket, consider a stop by Edinburgh Castle or George Street, located nearby.
5/5Exceptional!(1 area review)
Visitors to Portobello enjoy its beaches, and if you want to do some exploring, Portobello Beach is worth a stop.
History buffs will enjoy exploring Edinburgh, and visitors give high marks for the fascinating museums, local tours, and festivals. Tourists who journey to this welcoming city can discover its art, shopping, and monuments. Top sights in the city include Princes Street Gardens, National Gallery of Scotland, and Scott Monument.
- There are 2744 hotels and other accommodations in Edinburgh
- The closest major airport is in Edinburgh (EDI), 6.5 mi (10.5 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Dundee (DND), 35.3 mi (56.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Edinburgh
Known for its museums, festivals, and art, the city's cultural venues include National Gallery of Scotland, Scotch Whisky Experience, and Edinburgh Castle. Attractions like Our Dynamic Earth, Royal Commonwealth Pool, and Edinburgh Zoo are fun for kids of all ages. Its historic sites and monuments are notable and landmarks include Scott Monument, Camera Obscura and World of Illusions, and Gladstone's Land.
In Edinburgh, you'll find 2744 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Below are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- A Room in the Country - With a stay at this 4-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and location.
- Arden House - Our customers like the helpful staff and WiFi at this guesthouse. Amenities at this 3.5-star guesthouse include free breakfast and free WiFi.
- Orocco Pier - This 3.5-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi, and a bar. Expedia customers like its overall value and convenient parking.
Other favorite sights in Edinburgh include Princes Street Gardens, Princes Street, and George Street. Outside the city, popular places to see include Deep Sea World, 8.5 mi/13.7 km from the heart of the city, and Falkirk Wheel, which is 25.2 mi (40.5 km) away.
Getting Around Edinburgh
If you want to journey outside of the city, ride aboard a train from Edinburgh Waverley Station, Edinburgh Haymarket Station, or Slateford Station. Edinburgh might not have many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Edinburgh
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 48°F and the nighttime average to be 34°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 63°F during the day and 37°F at night
- July through September averages 65°F during the day and 46°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 56°F during the day and 35°F at night
- Edinburgh gets about 0.94 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 63°F, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 34°F
Frequently asked questions
Where is the best place for a stay in Edinburgh?
If I need to cancel my hotel reservation in Edinburgh, will I receive a refund?
Where can I learn more about changing or cancelling my trip to Edinburgh?
What's the best place to stay on a budget in Edinburgh?
What's the best place to stay in Old Town?
What's a favorite place to stay in Haymarket?
What's the best accommodation for a family vacation to Edinburgh?
What's the best hotel for a romantic vacation to Edinburgh?
What's the best pet-friendly hotel in Edinburgh?
What's the best place to stay close to Edinburgh Castle?
What about the best place to stay close to George Street?
Recent reviews of Edinburgh hotels
More trip options
- Edinburgh Hotels by Star Rating
- Hotels near Edinburgh Airports
- Hotels in Edinburgh Neighborhoods
- Hotels near Popular Edinburgh Attractions
- More Accommodation Types in Edinburgh
- More Hotel Options in Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hotels by Brand
- More Popular Hotels in Scotland
- Other Hotels near Edinburgh, Scotland
- Hotels in Popular Destinations
- Hotel Deals
- Expedia's Latest Trends